Monday, November 24, 2008

Setbacks to left of me, jokers to the right but I'm stuck in the middle with you

We went to the Dana today. Minor setback. Of course, with my counts racing back towards normal, it was bound to happen. After all, I am a medical anomaly who can't stay healthy for some reason. As Ti put it earlier today, if the doctors tell me that a side effect may happen, it happens to me. I'd like to think I'm not a hypochondriac, and as I can't possibly subconsciously cause some of these things to happen, I've decided I'm just unlucky. Anyway, to today's issue. Because I left the hospital with a little bit of a cold, that started to develop into bronchitis, I have developed some linger after-effects that just won't go away. It's not really a cold anymore, it's a respiratory problem that is caused by the dry heat in my condo, not drinking enough fluids, and the viral infection I was just getting over.

If I didn't have this damn cold/sinus thing, I'd be able to go into a store that was pretty empty. Today was my shot. I'm afraid that most places I might want to go will be too crowded for me starting next week. That and I do feel a little self-aware wearing a mask and gloves in public. Nothing says "SICK PERSON HERE" than a mask and a pair of gloves.

As my energy level and strength comes back, I'm starting to want to do more, go out and enjoy things again. But once I get outside, I realize that it's damn cold out, and that I should take the advice of every woman in my life that has spoken to me lately: Get your ass inside, rest and drink lots of fluids.

I've also been thinking about what to do about my head once my hair starts growing back. Should I keep it bald or let the hair grow back? I dunno. I'm growing the beard back, I feel naked without it. But my scalp, I'm not as particular about that as I used to be. It's strange. All of my whining and complaining about losing my hair, and once it does, I'm fine with being bald.

Anyway, I'm going back to watching TV and drinking lots of fluids.

Thank you everyone who has sent cards, email and words of encouragement. They are appreciated, and you'll be in my thoughts in the upcoming holiday.

I'll post later this week.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm still reading your blog here and there. So, it's nice to know that people in the masks don't just have TB. I know it's usually to keep them safe, but I have to admit it always makes me scared--and I am a health care professional!

Drink your fluids!