Monday, November 17, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

I've decided that I'm a superhero. Well, maybe not able to leap tall buildings in a single bound or stop a bullet or dress in tights wearing a special belt and cape, but a superhero anyway. My counts are through the roof. My WBC is 5.0, my hemo is 36.7 and my platelets are 180 (thousand). That means that since Thursday, I grew 76k platelets (per square whatever it is they use to measure platelets). I'm just going to assume that is a lot. So, I'm a superhero and my special ability is to grow blood cells. Maybe the stem cell growth will start to kick in some more and I'll to be able to fly, or at least float. I won't hold my breath on that one.

You may be wondering about the title. Last night, Ti and I watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" on TBS, so it's officially X-mas season. And someone on the news said it might snow this week. Might. I won't be outside, so I won't be affected if it does or doesn't. It may look pretty though.

After our appointment at the Dana this morning, we went for a drive to Castle Island in South Boston. It was cold, windy, but everything a shut in needed to appreciate nature and the fact we live on the ocean. It was great. Too bad I could only stand to be outside for about 7 minutes before sprinting (or fast walking - it's as fast as I can move at this point) back to the car. Fresh air, sunlight, the waves of the water and the rays bouncing off of them were amazing to watch while we were there. Eventually my chair was calling for me so we had to head home. That and I needed to start in on the 2 liters of fluids I have to drink today. So far, I'm in 3/4 liter for the day.

Maybe if it is somewhat "warm" later this week, we'll be able to go back out somewhere so I can get some more fresh air. Or we'll have to go to Home Depot and buy one of those portable propane heaters.

Every day that passes is one more day closer to me getting out of here and back to enjoying life again. Not that it isn't great sitting around all day with my computer in my lap in front of the TV, but it isn't everything I need in life. So I'll keep reaching for those goals and moving forward, towards the day I can say that I'm through with this stupid disease and everything that came with it.

3 comments:

krm said...

That's great news, Brian!

And, for the record, IIIII had to eat a bucket of KFC on Sunday (I'm serious)----he was going through withdrawal. (OK, I liked it too.) I won't eat spicy though, so he likes you better.

mjmercado said...

Don't believe her for a minute, B. I would never eat a bucket of chicken without you.


Except this one time.

andyson said...

I know you would. And every time you eat a bucket of chicken without me, a kitten gets run over by a lawnmower. Think about it, you love kittens.