Monday, December 1, 2008

Another trip to the Dana

We went to the onc clinic this morning for my routine follow-up appointment. I did a bonehead thing and checked in at one desk but not the one I was supposed to, so we were late for my appointment, even though we were there 30 mins early.

My counts were on the rise again. My rbcs are up to over 40 (average normal is 40.7), my platelets are at 189,000 (normal is between 150,000 - 400,000). I am Superman. I can do anything. Except go to stores, the mall, restaurants, work, other people's houses, and anywhere that isn't the condo. So I guess I'm not really Superman, just someone who is ahead of the curve with my recovery. Unfortunately because of the day (I'm at Day +33 from the transplant), I still have restrictions. And I was also told when I can start eating again from places that aren't our kitchen, that I have to be careful and not dive right into the fatty foods that I see on TV. Sorry Mike, I can't have that bucket on the first day :( Also, that day got pushed back a little bit too. Because my counts are so good, my next appt isn't for over two weeks, and I won't get the ok to do more stuff until then.

I've also been told to get my fat, lazy butt off of the couch and go outside. It'll be easier over the next few days because it's supposed to be warmer out. Ti and I will go on walks around the block to get me some fresh air and move my legs around. It should also help me sleep better at night too.

Apparently I'm going through the DTs due to the morphine I was on during my stay at the Brig. Our wonderful Nurse/Doctor/wealth of knowledge said that it would take a few weeks for me to get over the heavy dosage I was on during the transplant. I was on a pump for about 10-11 days and I was using it like it was going out of style. So like an Alcoholic or other drug-dependant folks, I'm suffering from withdrawl symptoms, we hope.

Well, that's all I have to report from this front. Enjoy the bright sunny afternoon. I'm going to try.

No comments: