Friday, December 5, 2008

Quiet on the home front

It's Friday. Not that it means a hell of a lot to me these days, but it's the end of another week. I can't believe it's already been a week since Thanksgiving. I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping, but I may wait until I can go to stores to finish up.

My health is in a bit of a roller coaster mode now, the cold thingy I was fighting off has come back a little bit, and today I get to start on my 2nd bottle of Robitussin DM to try to get rid of the cough and the gross stuff that comes along with it.

On a side note, my facial hair is starting to grow in again. I haven't decided what to do about it yet. Unfortunately right now it's limited to around my mouth, the sideburns aren't really growing in too quickly.

Some of my other fellow Hodge warriors aren't doing so well right now. I just want to wish them luck with their treatments and let them know that I am pulling for them. I can't imagine what they're going through, especially the folks going through clinical trials, but I hope everything leads to remission. It gives me perspective and scares the hell out of me a little bit. When my NP started feeling for nodes on Monday (I know it's her job and a precaution), it was a scary reminder that what I just went through isn't guaranteed to work. My onc said I had about a 60% chance of the cancer going into remission. While I support and want to help out those going through trials and other treatments, I don't want to be one of them. And I know they understand; they don't want to be one of them either.

This has been a tough week all around. I'm still not getting energy back, still not sleeping well. I've started taking walks around the block to get the blood flowing and start to build up my stamina, but between the weather getting colder, and the frustration at the fact I get winded walking from my condo to the corner of the block, it's not going to be easy. If we had room, I'd get a stationary bike, but there's nowhere we can really put it in here.

Maybe next week will be better. The first snow always seems to bring a change around here.

2 comments:

mjmercado said...

I meant to comment about this last weekend, but if your hair is growing back around the mouth...you know what I want to see Brian. Do the right thing.

andyson said...

No Mike, I cannot do it. I'm afraid to shave because I don't know if it will grow back.