Monday, October 20, 2008

Next stop, hospital

One more day. Today I'm going to try to focus and get everything done around here that I need to do before my "vacation" at the hospital. But in the back of my mind is this fear that I just can't get rid of. Well, ativan gets rid of it, but that's only temporary.

I know that nothing is going to happen in the hospital that isn't supposed to happen. You, my faithful readers, know that nothing is going to happen that the doctors aren't expecting. But, my imagination seems to know otherwise.

So to summarize the hospital stay (and put this in writing so I don't have to repeat it again): I will be in an isolation unit, called a pod. Everything I wear, touch, use or have near me has to be sanitized. Starting Wednesday I will be going through a high-dose chemo regimen designed to destroy my immune system and my body's mechanism for creating blood cells of all types.

Next week I get back the stem cells they harvested, and then stay for another 2 weeks while the stem cells take hold and cause the growth of new bone marrow and hopefully rbcs, wbs, platelets and the other cells I need.

2 comments:

Angela said...

We will definitely be thinking of you. Tomorrow is a big day. The hospital people will take care of you...that is what they do. You be nice to them, and will be nice to you.

Angela said...

Oops. "You be nice to them, and they will be nice to you." I forgot a word there.