Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Good Morning folks,
So I survived my first night at the hospital. . . sort of. I slept off and on for about 6 hours, waking up when I rolled onto my catheter, waking up when I had to roll over to get comfortable, and just getting used to the room here at the Brig (that's what I'm calling it). The nurses are nice so far, except the one that came in at 5:40 to take my vitals. From that point on I decided to stay awake in case they come in for any more poking/prodding/blood drawing or anything else I'm not aware of.
Today I learn mouth care, because I'm not supposed to use toothbrushes for the next month or so, and I'm supposed to "void" into a plastic container once they hook up the saline and chemo bags so they can monitor my input/output ratio. Don't think about the last sentence at all. It's a rather disturbing concept, so just move on. Fortunately my room has one of the only views a patient room can have, of the two trees next to the hospital, and also of the connecting bridges between the Dana, the Kraft Blood donation center and the Brig. I think if I get bored, I'll have lots of fun using the in-room flashlight to signal the people working in the buildings across the way. Maybe we can even get some cup-string telephones going.
On the agenda for the rest of the day will be me getting hooked up the chemo, figuring out how to order food to eat, and entertaining whatever company comes my way. It may be a busy day, but since I won't be moving a whole hell of a lot, I won't mind so much. Unless they don't let me sleep later when I'm tired.

Anyway, I'm going to try to figure out this whole room service thing. I'm hungry.

3 comments:

ti said...

1 night down! And it's nice to see that they are keeping some things the same as at home with the 5:45 wake ups :)

Anonymous said...

Hey brian! It's me Karthi.
First I have to say, thank you for keeping us posted! I always worry about you but didn't want to bother you either.
I am glad that you are hanging in there and beating this thing.
Can't wait to see you again.
Anything you need, you know you can call me.
And thank god your humour is still there! :)
Is the food any good?

Linda Jerrett said...

Hi Brian!

Thanks for the updates and for letting us know how everything is going. Thanks to Ti for the mail update too. I think about you absolutely everyday and I am tired of drinking coffee/tea by myself so I am looking forward to the day when you are back to keep me company. All my best and love and hugs and prayers during this ugly adventure. :-) Linda J.