Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Day 0 - The first day of the rest of my life

Today the smallest thing is making me well up. It could be the importance of the day, it could be the fact I got about 4 hours sleep last night (again), I dunno. I had 2 pints of blood (Thanks Karen! for yours) which took until 2:30 ish to administer, and then they had to do all kinds of checks on me last night for reactions, so me and my rash settled in to sleep sometime after 4 am. To be fair, I probably caught a few quick cat naps while I was waiting for this, that and the other thing.

My mouth feels like I got punched by Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! They gave me some pills for that. My mouth feels better now. A preview of things to come, I'm sure.

As I type, my nurse, Nancy (who has been great, as have all of my other onc nurses here at the Brig so far), is putting what she calls "umbrellas for a sunny day" all around my room for the procedure. Not to make me paranoid or worry or anything like that, but just to be ready for anything. And as I've learned here the past week, I'd rather be prepared for anything than suffer needlessly because something was looked at and someone decided "Eh, nah we won't possibly need that".

I'd like to thank Mike, Karen and Gregory for all of their support. I'd like to thank all of my friends for their support as well, and as I said before, your support is what I use to build up the stregnth I need to get out of bed in the morning. But Mike and Karen especially have gone above and beyond anything I could have expected from them. Thank you very much for everything. Ti and I will have to name something "Mercado" at some point to make up for it; first-born, dog, lawn-mower, i dunno.

Anyway, so I can stop crying like a ninny - what the hell is a ninny? I'll wrap this up so I can eat breakfast and maybe shower before the big event.

If I am able, I may update the blog this afternoon.

3 comments:

Angela said...

oh....you are making me sad!!!! I am so glad that you have the support at the hospital that you need. Crying is ok...but not too much. Ti and I will be going out next week I think.

Ok, I'll give you something funny to think about. Check your email ok.

Angela

mjmercado said...

Ninny: A fool; a simpleton. One deficient in judgment and good sense. Well that can't be you Brian, as evidenced by your wonderful fiance.

Kerry said...

So, I know you can't have visitors...can you receive mail/packages in your pod?