Friday, January 9, 2009

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday

I haven't posted in a few days. It's because I've gotten into a routine. I get up in the morning, eat, watch TV, play on the computer, etc. It doesn't matter what day of the week it is. Except for what is on TV at night. Some nights Ti and I watch live TV, some nights we watch stuff the TiVo recorded for us. Then I go to bed sometime after midnight, because, let's face it, I don't have to be up that early in the morning right now. And yes, in a way, I am rubbing it in a little bit. But that's about all I got. The rest of my life right now is pretty pedestrian by any standards. The only excitement I get is when mail comes that I wasn't expecting. Mail. Whoo-hoo!
Although, I did get my chair-cycle thingy today. It's a set of pedals with a tension knob (so I can make it harder) that I use while sitting down. It's not a great deal of exercise, but it gets my legs moving when it's 25 degrees with a -2 wind chill outside. And I can do it while I watch TV without any problems, just like when I was going to the gym. I can also put it onto a table and use it with my arms, but I don't see that happening. My plan is to use it for about 30 - 45 minutes a day. Not much tension at first, but build myself up over time. Keep the knees and hips moving so when I can venture out into humanity, I won't be walking funny.

So here is a list of the top bad habits I've managed to get because of this damned disease:

1. Junk food. We have 3000 bags of Doritos here. Many I've gotten for Christmas, some were here before, some came after. I didn't eat a lot of junk food prior to treatment, now I'll have to ween myself off of it soon.

2. Irregular sleep patterns. It's not just staying up late and sleeping in. That would be regular. No, I sleep when I feel like it and get up when I want to. Naps, going to bed at 3 am, waking up at noon. Sounds great and all, but it does kind of waste the day. Not that my days have much to offer right now, but eventually 6:30 will be calling and I'll have to be in bed before midnight. Speaking of which. . .

3. Watching The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. This was a latecomer to the party, but Ti and I started watching this show. Live(ish). And it starts at 12:37 am. Which means we weren't going to bed until at least 2 am. Fine if you don't have work in the morning, but we were doing it during the week. Since Ti's gone back to work we no longer watch the show at it's 12:37 timeslot, but do TiVo it to watch it later.

4. Lack of major physical activity. This I can't be blamed too much for because a.) most of my muscles were shrinking by the time I left the hospital and b.) I had no energy for the first month I was home to do anything, let alone exercise. It also doesn't help that walking to the bedroom to the bathroom, kitchen or living room moves me all of 20 feet from the bed. Lucky for me that taking out the trash or getting the mail involves some stairs, or I'd have to retrain my legs. It also doesn't help that it's now freezing outside, and if I were to be out there for any significant amount of time, I'm sure the fluid in my lungs would freeze. Hmm. . . pneunomiasicles.

5. Not wanting to shave. Since August, I haven't had hair to speak of anywhere on my person. Now it's growing back with a vengence, and in places I hadn't had hair before. It's also growing very fast. I went almost 5 months without shaving, not that I was doing much before August either, but now I should be shaving 4 (maybe more) times a week. And I don't want to.

Eh, enough for now. I have to go gulp down a liter of water and play my Wii.

No comments: