Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Manah Manah

Do Do Dee Do Do

Bear with me, I've had a few. Ok, two. But for someone who really hasn't touched much alcohol in the past 15 months, I think I'm doing ok.

Today we learned a few things. First, after spending 6 hours in the Radiology department, we learned that I'll be starting radiation next week. We have an appointment on Wednesday to finish up the scans they need to do to prepare me for the actual radiation treatment, and we're meeting with my rad onc to finalize the details. I'll have between 17-20 consecutive radiation treatments, starting next Thursday. I don't go on weekends, so it's consecutive weekdays that I'll have treatment. As my current onc nurse says, the worst part about the treatment is hauling my ass to the hospital every single day of the week for a month, so I don't expect too much by the way of side effects.

We also learned that most of my restrictions have been lifted. To celebrate, Ti and I went out and had beer and other food. I had moules frites (french fries and mussels), which were quite tasty, especially with the beer I had along with dinner. I really need to work my tolerance level back up. I have a wedding coming up. If two Belgium style beers (well, one was from there) can knock me around a fair bit, I can't imagine what the wedding reception is going to do to me.

I'll also be returning to work soon. Not sure yet, as I just found out today that I can go back, but probably in the next few weeks.

Later dudes. Off to go sleep, it's been a long day.

5 comments:

ti said...

Woo-hoo - less restrictions!! Congrats on the milestone Honey! And now we get to stop counting days, 100 is the magic number!!
After all you've been through, rad. should be a breeze :)

Kerry said...

Radiation is just a PITA - no worries. Can't wait to see you back at work one of these days!

Jake said...

Brian,

I believe we shared a purgatorial ordeal yesterday in Radiology at BWH. I'd come across your blog on the Webmagic Hodgkin's message board awhile ago, and checked in with it on a fairly regular basis. So, I thought it might actually be you, but of course, didn't actually make the connection until later in the evening (my brain was a bit fuzzy yesterday, as I was fairly zonked on Benadryl and bouts of insomnia and general anxiety after a not so great PET scan last week, otherwise I might have put two and two together sooner). So, a profusion of apologies if you are the wrong person here, and also apologies for coming across as a bit stalkerish. (I'm a long time lurker on the messageboard, and follow a lot of people's stories closely, but have never posted. Not sure why. But it's been an invaluable resource, and I have found many great blogs through it, yours being one of the best)

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate you on getting the all clear by days end, it sounds, and express my profoundest envy of finally getting to have a beer (I'm going to guess from your post that you went to Publick House? Capital choice! Sadly, my onc still wants me on a strict alcohol free diet, so I'm at least a month away). Good luck with radiation, and your continued success getting out from under the SCT.

Best,
Jake

andyson said...

Yep, that was me. I can't fault you for the chemo brain, I've had it since Dec of '07. Yes, it was the Publick House, and we got to sit in the Monk's Cell, which wasn't open before I started treatment. It was a nice dinner with a few well deserved beers. Now to work my tolerance back up so I can stay longer than 2.

- B

Linda Jerrett said...

Hi! Thanks so much for the update and for just being so awesome! :-) Now that you've bellied back up to the bar, I think out next beverage should be from a tap instead of a tea pot. :-) It will be my pleasure to buy you a drink! Keep up the excellent job at getting better and super healthy! All my love! Linda