Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Friday I'm in love

So they gave me stuff at the Radiation Oncology office for my throat. It works ok, but I'll still probably end up on a mostly smoothie/frappacino/milkshake diet for the next week or two. The place it hurts is kinda hard to get the numbing liquid to without drinking a bit of it. I'll have lots of time to practice this week, as my throat won't have time to heal until the weekend. They gave me Friday off to let it rest a little before I finish up treatment next week. My back is also feeling funky, so most likely the radiation "burns" are starting to make their appearance. It hasn't turned red yet, but I still have 7 more radiation treatments to go. We'll see how it goes, play it by ear, etc.

Enough about my health.

Thursday we're going to pick out my Tux for the wedding and start that process. It will require a few trips to get all the groomsmen taken care of, but what else do I have to do in my spare time? Pretty much nothing at the moment. We've also gotten our invitations taken care of (mostly) and those will be going out soon. Bleh. If the wedding don't kill me, the whiskey (now part of my liquid diet) will.

Talk to y'all later.

1 comment:

Jake said...

Hey Brian,

I'm guessing you and I are at similar points on our radiation schedule. The side effects ganged up on me all of a sudden last Friday, after smooth sailing for the first 2 1/2 weeks. I nearly choked to death trying to get down a ginormous roast beef sandwich Friday night because of this pesky lump in my throat (of course, it helped when I started to take reasonable bites and actually chew, but not much). It seemed to recede over the weekend, but now it's coming back and then some. I was also offered the chance to skip out on this Friday's treatment and tack on more next week - still mulling it over, it'll probably be a game time decision tomorrow afternoon.

Also, I was wondering what your radiation "burns" are like? (You can answer this off the record, if you like, I'll leave my e-mail below) I have nothing like what I expected (something like a sunburn) but I have a trail of weird bumps that look like blood blisters popping up in a line from shoulder to shoulder. The doctor and the nurse didn't seem too concerned, though, probably to be expected.

Anyway, best with the rest of the radiation.

Cheers,

Jake M. mruffalo@gmail.com

PS You are not wrong about the allure of the Radiation Techs. My girlfriend is to the point of wanting to actually accompany me into the room itself (strictly verboten) so worried has she become of their wiles and charms...

Do you think BWH has operatives staked out at bus stations, railway platforms and the airport, there to lure in impressionable naive young women fresh in from Iowa, who have dreams of fame and quick money?