Friday, March 20, 2009

I'm on a boat

Ok, so I'm not really on a boat. We'd have to clear it with my doctors first. But in some ways, I feel like I am on a boat, floating out in the ocean. I haven't decided to dive head first back into my former pre-cancer life, at least not yet. I am dangling my feet in, getting them wet by doing familiar things and seeing how my post-cancer-treatment body handles them. Last weekend we celebrated St. Patrick's Day, and while I wasn't hung over on Sunday, I wasn't feeling quite right all day.

This weekend, we'll be going to the Hockey East finals; a weekend event my father and I used to do for the past few years that was rudely interrupted by cancer. We'd get tickets for Friday (two games) and Saturday (the finals) and make a weekend of it. Usually lots of drinking, stumbling around and troublemaking. It was fun. So I got us tickets for tomorrow night. It will be a long day, as we have the bridal shower in the morning (I'm going, long story, blah, blah, blah). I'm hoping to make it to the 3rd period.

I've been getting myself moving around by offering to cook. And most of what I've made has been good - at least Ti tells me so. Nothing too exotic, just a black bean chili, sheppard's pie, and a batch of pasta sauce. It keeps me busy and is a link back to what I liked to do before all this badness settled into my life. Maybe I'll find the recipie that'll bring me out of my funk. Get it? Bah, fine, don't laugh. It really wasn't funny anyway.

Music for the week:

Dracula from Houston - Butthole surfers: Great, catchy, upbeat song. With a twist!

Mad Flava - Fat Boy Slim: Everyone's life has a back beat. I'm trying to get this one to be mine.

One toke over the line - I just feel that way sometimes. Not high, just out of it.

Wonderful Night - FBS: More beats, more reason to want to get up and move around. Something sorely needed now in my life.

She caught the Katy - Taj Mahal: A return to my college Blues Brothers form. Also a great song.

You and me and the Bourgeoisie - The Submarines: From the iPhone ad; catchy and fun. It is ironic that the iPhone, the model consumer device of excess, chose a song about giving all of it up for its commercial. . .

That's it for now. Have a good weekend, and I'll chat with y'all later.

Leave more comments! I need to know people are still reading. Wallflowers of the world unite and leave your mark. . . on my blog.

3 comments:

ti said...

here ya go... comment

mjmercado said...

2 comments

Kerry said...

I'm reading! and would love to see a pic of you from the shower with one of those ribbon hats/bouquets! :-)