Wednesday, June 10, 2009

New, ahem, old problems

So I had to change the original title of this post. There was a local news story last night about bovine flatulence, the graphic they displayed on TV now my facebook avatar, and I thought it was the funniest thing ever. I still kinda do. I guess it was a slow news day.
Moving right along, I've come down with a stomach flu. I've had it since Saturday night. Ti and I originally thought it was due to something I ate - we ate some raw clams and I had fish and chips at a very nice restaurant - but the continuing problems lead me to believe I've been struck with a critter of a different nature.
I've been drinking lots of fluids to keep myself from being dehydrated, and mixing in gatorade to replenish what's been taken out of me. Food-wise, I haven't been eating much. I do eat, but I think by the time this has passed on, I'll be down a pound or three. Not the worst thing in the world, and I'm padded enough to survive a little bout. I know, believe me, I know, if it keeps sticking around, I'm calling the doctor. I just don't want to spend time in the ER, or be admitted for the weekend.
On the plus side, it's getting easier to get up in the morning ;)

Overall, allergy-related issues and stomach-related issues aside, I am seeing improvement in energy and stamina and my overall health. Not a major, "I can go run a marathon!" amount, but more than I had previously, in the posts where I complained about it.

I am also going to ask something of you, faithful readers and followers. After my next scan, at the end of July, I am going to start looking into ways that I can contribute to the cancer community. Not necessarily raising money, but opportunities to volunteer, maybe to talk to newly-diagnosed patients, something. There are so many others that are active, while still dealing with their own disease, that it makes me feel like a frog on a log. Waiting for the flies to come to me - and I know things don't work that way. Give me ideas. Send me websites. I'll be looking into what Dana Farber could use me for. Blogging about my experience is a start, but I know I can and want to do more. And if there are folks out there who want to do things with me, that's cool too.

Well, I'm going to go watch the final two outs of the Sox game. They're winning at the moment. Let's hope it stays that way.

G'night.

No comments: